Welcome to spiderday. THE place to get all the stories about arachnids, from the past week. And boy oh boy it was a good week!
Let’s get started:
- Perhaps the best news of the week: a critically endangered spiders is saved from a planning development in the UK. Spider conservation FTW! That’s my read of the week.
- You must see this: from Nicky Bay (on Facebook) – a spider with an extended ‘tubercle’ on its abdomen. What’s it for??
- The Hippie Spider. That is all.
- Some surprising animals that like water. Spiders are on that list, don’t you know.
- Wonderful photos of a running crab spider mom.
- What happens if you ask undergraduate students to draw a spiders? The results are quite something! Some are amazingly accurate. Some are, well, not so accurate:
- This is a simply fabulous post about figuring out whether or not you might have a brown recluse (spoiler: it’s #notabrownrecluse)
- Want to go on a safari? How about a spider safari? Sounds like fun to me.
- This is neat: spider and centipede venom evolved from insulin-like hormone.
- Cobweb Hotel (1936) – Um, it’s one of the oddest spider-themed youtube videos you will ever come across.
- This is a mitey good pun:
- Family flees home after finding a spider egg sac. That’s an overreaction. Sigh.
- Tick watch: beyond Lyme disease
- Canadians: here are your high risk areas for Lyme disease
- Ticked off: here are things we DON’T know about Lyme disease
- Finally, your friendly Public Spider Announcement: